View Single Post
Old 07-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Strings and Pickup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Casey View Post
Sorry, Ken and all.

I just copied the info from a sales listing I had - didn't even think about cm vs. inches.

Here's a picture of the back with the teardrop purfling loop that is in keeping with the GA Pfretzschner stamp on the inside. I'll try to get a close up of the button a little later this week.

I really like my Full Circle on my Christopher, but I'm thinking about trying the Realist on this. Any thoughts on that from anyone?

Also, my teacher has suggested going gut, at least for a while to let the top get out from under the steel of the Dominants for awhile. I'm thinking more like D+G Olivs and E+A Spiros. Again, if anyone has thoughts on that, I'd love to hear them.

brian
Brian, these Basses are often very thickly wooded. Mine was re-graduated Top and Back changing the tap-tone from 'thunk' to 'booommm'. I used Obligatos on mine but it had Spiros when I bought it.

I think the guy who bought mine is using some type of Gut Combo as well but you would have to ask Arnold about that.

On the pickup, my favorite has been the Shadow Pickup that looks like an Underwood (if you can see it mounted in my Batchelder). I have used it on all of my Basses and even bowed with it in a few Orchestra concerts where and Amp was needed.