View Single Post
Old 11-30-2013, 04:00 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool intonation..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmund Nichols View Post
I noticed on the back of my bridge, there are screws that are somehow attached to springs. Can/should those ever be adjusted? I was trying to set-up the action on my 5EG, to have the same feel as my 5TN (since I've been playing the 5TN for years, I'm most comfortable with that feel).
I start with the Scale length on the G string (or high C), measuring the vibrating length at 34". Then I pull back the D a bit (1/16" or 1mm) and each one the same behind that putting the saddles at that angle, each thicker string longer than the one before it. Depending on the thickness of your string, your string height and the bow in the neck/relief (no matter how slight), this can vary.

People cannot play a bass perfectly in tune. As soon as you press the string down, you are pulling it sharp over the fret or to the side. There is no way to intonate a bass perfectly when you can easily play it out of tune. I am talking slightly here in a way that most cannot hear the difference unless you can hold each note in the heat of passion and meter it. I set-up a bass so it sounds and playes in tune for me. Some people re-adjust it so they 'think' it's better in-tune. I use a tuning fork, Not a machine. It's how I learned and nothing beats vibrations, the beats. Also, harmonics are slightly flat to the closed note and setting it up to play the 24th fret in tune will leave the lower notes flat. This is my experience. The next time you listen to a recording, try and pick out the notes that are out of tune between the lower and upper register. The music and passion while playing and listening covers it up pretty well.