View Single Post
Old 04-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Junior Posting Member

Chris Rapadas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
I may be wrong (what, me wrong?) but I've read that in Beethoven's day the lousiest musicians (presumably string players) were put onto double bass and told to 'double the cello part' (an octave lower, of course). They weren't expected to 'get' all the notes.
Isn't it a bit easier though, Ken, when there's 6 or 8 of you playing the same part? I did some jazz gigs with Gordon Brisker in 1997 (my dad died while we were on tour... so I missed the latter gigs) and there were some pretty important people in the band. He called some hard (and fast) tunes and you had to nail them... there was nowhere to hide! Both disciplines (jazz & classical) can be the test of a man IMO.

IMO is Ken's Corner talk for 'in my opinion'.
Richard,I know that's how it is.BUT,...I will be playing(on a few songs) DB in a Indie,lo-fi setting,i.e. Tom Waits,..ect..So,I will be playing gigs with DB before I (in My mind)I even know how to play it.I guess I'm overconfident but,..Heck!!!

On another note,I want to ask,what do you(or anyone) think I should begin my DB studies in?Jazz?Classical?I respect and love all music.I'm thinking Jazz since I don't know if I will ever play in an orchestral setting.
But, ya never know!.....maybe both!!BTW it's great to be starting with a clean slate!(I will be able to learn things the rite way!!).....Chris.

BTW,I played on a bandstand from the 4th to 12th grade so I remember 6-8 people playing the same part!Trumpet though,...wrong clef......