View Single Post
Old 01-28-2007, 02:37 PM
Posting Member

Bob Branstetter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I have had about 9 Basses to date with Helicore's orch. on then when the Basses came in. When I got in 6 Corsini Basses they all had Helicore strings. Some bowed well and some did not. Some Es were .105" and some .110. They were not consistant in size or sound and all were the Helicore Orchestra model from the same batch shipped to JR Music to put on their Basses.

I know that Basses vary but the string gauge should be consistent from set to set, no?
I don't doubt what you are saying Ken, but I have to say that I have not found this to be the case with the Helicore Hybrids or Orchestras that I've used and I've been using them since before the first ones hit the retail shelves in the mid 90's. I agree that .005" is too much variation for a string, but as far as bowing or sound is concerned, I find absolutely nothing unusual about 6 different (same model) basses from the same maker/factory sounding and playing/bowing differently with the same strings. I had that happen in my shop all the time when I was buying basses from other makers as well.

[added 1/30/07] I just noticed in another forum topic that one of the persons who bought one of Ken's Corsini basses thinks that was a Plus that the bass came supplied with Helicore Orchestra strings. This, of course, proves absolutely nothing other than different folks like different strings. If that wasn't true, there would be no market for all the different bass strings currently available.

Last edited by Bob Branstetter; 01-30-2007 at 02:37 PM. Reason: New Info