Thread: Smith Basses
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hall View Post
Ken, you mentioned the words 'stable' and 'even' in describing the qualities of a good bass neck. Could you go into detail? It seems to me, particularly with a 6 string, that two truss rods would be a necessity given the extra tension of six bass strings.
Two Rods?

If the string pull is even and the Neck has even stability across it's width then it should pull forward and back evenly. Adjustment from the center is just fine.

Two Rods can cause more trouble than they can solve. Just a slight mis-adjustment and over time the Neck will twist and maybe stay that way. NOT a good thing in my book. If the Neck needs two rods then something is wrong. We only use 1 Rod in the 7s as well. Not a single problem has been reported in over 15 years since we made our first 7-string for Melvin Davis.

The way I designed my 6-String Bass Necks and the way we make them in the Shop, have not have any problems that point to any changes needed as far as structure goes. The Smith Necks in general from day 'one' after almost 30 years going now have proven themselves by just 'being'. It is very rare that we hear about Neck problems concerning our Basses under normal usage.

'Stable' and 'Even' are words by definition that relate to my method of construction.