View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Yup.. and..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Sheridan View Post
Ken,
I'm a bit envious of your collection. I gave mine away when I moved to Mexico. Now that I'm looking at moving back I may start my collection all over again. I had been collecting books since the mid 70s and had many first editions.

There is really a need (if not a market) for books on bass makers. Duane Rosengard did all of us a great service with his book on the Cremona makers and I wish that he or someone else would do one on the Italian school, and then follow with others on the other schools. Elgar's books are interesting but I've never met anyone who thought that his attributions were solid. I'm not sure we have a true bass expert anywhere. Maybe you are becoming the one!
I just picked up a copy of the Rosengard Book. I was at Biase's in NYC and we were looking at something in it. Then he mentions later that the outer sleeve was still out and asked, "Did I put the book away already?". I said yes and in the sleeve.. He looks in the cabinet and pulls out another book! He had two! I asked if I could but it and I came home with another rare limited edition and out of print book to add to the collection.

This Book is not that big but does tell a great story about the schools or Northern Italy and confirms that the Double Bass as we know it was born in Italy. I have only skimmed thru it but I will do a cover-to-cover as soon as I get a free day or two. At first I was worried because it's all in Italian, the text I mean. Then I saw the English text and felt a sigh of relief.