View Single Post
Old 03-25-2007, 06:40 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Testore, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Tucker View Post
Ken M here are a few more shots from Elgars book since you don't have it any more. The "Lemur" bass and a nice cornerless attributed to Giovanni Dodi, Modena 1853.

Its interesting to see the inside; the linings are kerfed like a geetar. And check the size of the neck block!

Hey I just noticed that the "Dodi" looks a bit like the "Testore" in that little pic on your site. Could it be the same bass taken from a different angle??? That lower bout shape looks almost identical. The neck block area looks a bit different - it could just be the camera angle ... or p'raps its been cut down ... do you have a better colour picture??
At this time I doubt that the Cornerless Basses we have looked at were made by either Testore, Ruggeri or even Storioni. The work of these Basses look nothing like their 'known' work so attributing it to them may be a bit careless or a dream at best.

The Elgar Storioni in the Milan Museum I was told is NOT a Storioni. This has caused many people to use this name for almost anything Italian with the Guitar shape.

Also in the Elgar book are three 19th century makers known for Guitar shaped Basses. These are Dodi, Boccaccini, and Baldentoni. None of them from Cremona or Milan. Many Spanish Basses are of Guitar shape as well but again, mainly from the 19th century.

I will be taking my Bass down to the Kimmel Center to be photographed and looked over by Duane Rosengard sometime next month. I would just as likely assume that Boccaccini made my Bass if not a great Spaniard maker sometime in the early 19th century as I would believe the attribution to Storioni by the previous owner. I listed it like that mainly in respect for the widow of Riccardi as a memorial type thing as that is what the Bass was mainly called. In other circles it is known as 'The Riccardi Bass' with no other attribution.

I have played only two other Basses I can recall with the type of sound that my Bass has. One is an attributed Seraphin and the other attributed to Maggini, both large Violin cornered Basses. What ever my Bass is, the maker is one of great skill in both workmanship and tone as far as this Bass goes. Having played all three Basses mentioned above, I prefer both the playability and tone of my Bass. If it had been of Violin shape, It would have been priced up there with the other two Basses and out of my reach. Lucky me!..lol