View Single Post
Old 04-29-2007, 04:45 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Spanish Makers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
The only two countries I know of that have ever produced Guitar shaped basses was either Italy or Spain with Italy being the originator but parts of Italy were under Spanish rule at one time. Many old Spanish makers are of Italian dissent as well and many or then Violin makers there copied mainly Strad, Guadagnini, and some Gagliano. I looked thru a Spanish Makers book yesterday at Biase's and he pointed out all these great Spanish makers and how Italian looking the fiddles were.
Ok, on this Spanish Violin Book I mentioned, the Author is 'Ramon Pinto Comas'. I was told the other day to buy this book by him as he was also one of the foremost authorities on Spanish Basses as well. This information came from Duane Rosengard. As we were on the Phone discussing this and both surfing the 'Net at the same time we found that he has a Website. I understand he speaks Spanish and French at least but not certain if he speaks any English at all. Duane took pictures of my Cornerless Bass about 2 weeks ago (along with the Gilkes) and asked if he could send some pictures to him on my behalf and of course I said Yes to that. Then I started typing an Email to the Author in Spain letting him know about this Bass with a link to my Webpage and that better pictures would be sent to him asap from Rosengard who just happens to be a friend of his. Duane knows just about everyone worldwide and has a memory that is unbelievable.

Duane thinks this Bass of mine might very well be Spanish as the Scroll fits that Profile being only influenced by Italy but more of a Spanish flair than Italian as far as the Pegbox goes. He pointed out that the Brescian Scrolls have points on the Cheeks like the d'Salos do. I had also heard that Tom Martin looking at pics sometime ago also mentioned it looked Spanish. The Top is made from extremely fine grained Violin grade Spruce or Fir but the detail work throughout is that of a very fine maker considered to be above the average Italian that made Cornerless Basses and easily over the Spanish we have seen. Perhaps some Spaniard that trained in Italy or an Italian the moved to Spain who had exceptional skills made this fine Bass with a sound to rival most great Basses as well as its own beauty.

On the Brescian thing Duane reminded me that he is one of the organizers of the upcoming Brescian Expo in Italy starting in June this year for a month. Also, it will be a once in a lifetime viewing of several d'Salo and Maggini Basses that will may never may again in the same room. I did see a link but can't find it now. At this time, I don't know if I can get away to go.