View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb French Panormo..

This week I think I saw my first actual French made Hawkes in the Panormo model. I have seen pics and heard claims but never had one in my hands. This looked similar to the English model but with French Gears. The inside Linings are wider inside which is typical of the French. This Bass did not have outer linings/moldings like the German models have. The other Frenchies were made earlier and were Jacquet style basses with the older Riviere & Hawkes firm which dissolved in 1889. So, if you see and claims with that label after that date, it's a fraud. This Bass that I saw and played had been refinished in recent years so I wasn't able to look at the French Varnish. Still, it was a nice Bass. It had the Purfled 'F' under the upper back Button.

I know I have doubted this in the past but after seeing one in person and discussing this exact Bass with Arnold I am convinced that some of the Panormo shaped models were made in France. Most likely under contract with the Hawkes patterns and specs. The internal work I imagine would tend to more or less emulate the Shop or country of origin. I would estimate the dates to be from the 1890's and on into the early 20th century. I don't know anything more than that at this time.