View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 11:50 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up ok..

Here she is, the newest addition to the Hawkes Thread.

Concert model from Germany?

A Luthier friend of mind emailed me pictures of what he thought was a similar bass but other than the basic model and color of Varnish it was quite different. That one (not mine) has a Label in side from Josef Rubner, Markneukirchen. Josef (b.1864, d.1927) is the oldest of this family starting his shop in 1885. His son Otto (b.1885, d.1963) later worked with him and took over the shop. His son Johannes worked with him as well carrying ion the tradition but I think only Joseph or maybe Otto could have been involved in the Hawkes basses.

The differences between the Rubner Hawkes and mine differs in The Scroll, Tuners, F-holes, Back bend, Top bend, Neck Block and outer lining size. It seems that Hawkes & Son contracted them at some point to make Basses as this is labeled but mine by the Tuners seems older and the neck block more of a Mittenwald style than Markneukirchen. It may also be possible that Hawkes & Son contracted more than one shop at a time. In discussing the pictures of my bass it seems that it was more of a handmade bass than something from a factory. Perhaps 'shop-made' where they made a few at a time.

Mine started out as a 3-string and was converted to a 4 with a similar 4th gear added. The Rubner-made Hawkes bass was a 4-string from the start with the gears being quite different. Both basses have some type of French looking Gears but not 100%. The Rubner has French handles and German Gears. Mine has English handles with French Gears.

The two basses look like the same model but interpreted by the shop that was contracted to make them. Later Concert models that I have seen look totally uniform to each other but these two seem something like an early attempt at it.