View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb signed inside...

When I got the Bass I was given pictures of some facsimile Labels that were lost in a previous restoration but photographed. I was told that the 2 of the 1829 was not all that clear but they would go with it as No. 8 would be very early in his making. I thought they meant the other label that the facsimile replaced prior to the restoration.

I took the group of the repairs and makers facsimile labels and made one label from that picture to put inside the Bass so the history doesn't get lost and glued it to the center Back brace.

When I was about to remove my light from the opposite F-hole I took one last look inside and then.. Holy Sxxt..

The real original inscription in William Tarr's old English calligraphy writing in heavy ink was there. Around the inscription was a faint line as if tape was placed over it for the last Back Restoration or when the Bass was cut down 1959.

So, this Tarr IS labeled, handwritten into wood of the upper Back just below the angle bend on the bass side opposite the Bass Bar of the Top.

This is what they were talking about as far as the trouble in reading some of the numbers.

Why can't those Brit's speak clear English?

Wait, that IS English, lol

I Speak American.. .. ..