Thread: My basses
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Posting Member

Shawn Charniga is on a distinguished road
Default My basses

Morning, all.

Our host and I were having a conversation the other day, and the provenance of my basses came up. Since I don't really know what either of them are, he suggested I post photos so other members of the forum could enjoy the "What's He Got" game. Obviously, I am only too happy to oblige. Neither bass has a label -- the first one pictured lacks any markings at all, inside or out; the label on the second bass has been scraped out.

The first bass I got in pieces from a retired New York jazzer named Alan Poe (anyone know him?). He told me he bought it in 1954, when he was 14, and the salesman told him it was an old bass at that time. I've been told that it is probably circa-WW1 Czech.

The second was sold to me as late-1800s German, but it has since been described to me as "Juzek-ish" and probably made between the two World Wars, which I guess would mean it was made in Prague, probably by Wilfer. However, the neck set is unusual -- there is a large tenon about 1.5" square below the neck, which is visible under the fingerboard. Sorry, but I forgot to get a photo of that. I've heard that was a common feature of basses made in Mittenwald. Is that correct?