Thread: Fresh Strings?
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Bass strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit Shtriker View Post
I've been using coated Elixir strings for 2 years, and they usually last 3 months before I replace them. They only lose a bit of their freshness after 3 months. Every other string I tried was dead flat in tone normally after couple of weeks to a month. Anyway, the last month was one of the busiest in my life (yet..). The coating on the Elixir already peeled off and the E string is almost unresponsive, very dull and lifeless. As you may have noticed, I like my strings as fresh as can be, and if I had a lot of money to spend on strings, I am sure one week was my average string life.

Like you, Tim, I can't put my hands on the bass if they're not perfectly clean, but still, I couldn't prevent the black dirt from ruining my sound this time . I am taking my bass to a guitar tech in a couple of days for a setup, I will have to change the strings now, in about half of my usual time, and I think I will try a new set. Do you guys have any recommendations for me? I like them very crisp and smooth And long lasting as can be
My Recommendation on strings: Smith Medium Taper Cores. Be sure professional set-up is achieved. Also, this would be a great opportunity to make that adjustment to your bass' output gain.