View Single Post
Old 06-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb not an English attribute??

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidseidel View Post
I have also only heard of Booth via Gallery Strings. Interestingly I have been told by English experts that it is not an English attribute to have outside linings of that kind and yet my bass (attributed to Furber) has similar look from the side although other differences obviously. Is this Booth positively identified by someone or by a label?
Well, let me butt in here on that subject. From what I have seen there are Basses from England as far back as the late 18th century with outer linings/moldings. These makers included Dodd, Lott, Fendt and even somewhat with the squared corners on some Forster Basses which also show up on Dodd, Lott and even your attr. Furber Bass.

I have seen a few Italian Basses with outer moldings and some older German Basses as well. The outer moldings however are on the good majority of the German and Germanic Czech Basses made over the last 100+ years. German Basses made before 1850 have them on less occasion but still show up.

I don't know if you can say it IS an English attribute to have outside linings but many makers built Basses with these moldings during their 'golden' Bass building period from the late 18th century and well into 19th century.

If the Bass is old and the outer linings are original, then do not rule out the Bass being English if it looks English. Some Basses have had outer linings put on at a later date in their life. I have seen both an old German and an old Italian Bass with outer linings that to my eye were not original to the Bass.

In closing for now, outer linings IS one of the Attributes found on 'some' older English Basses but not all of them and not exclusively used by any one maker than I know of.

Remember this please, the English were mainly the greatest copyists of their time in the Bass world as well as the other Strings. While the French were copyists as well, the Basses they made were usually typical French of that period while the English made it a point to copy the best Italian and even some German traits on the Basses. Stainer was their big influence before they switched to the Cremonas. Panormo did help set the pace but not all followed his lead. Many English makers stuck with the Germanic style and even a little French flavor popped up now and then.

I wonder, how many English Basses today are still running around with Italian names?