View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Junior Posting Member

Rory Lane is on a distinguished road

Hey Hector, sorry to take so long to respond I just noticed the post. As you know tone is very subjective and what sounds good to me may sound like crap to the next guy. I like a big warm tone with a lot of bass on the bottom end. While I like plenty of highs I like them in the background and mids to be present but not to overwhelming. The selection of the Series/Parallel switch in this position seems to help me achieve these tones.
Keep in mind both my basses sound very different from each other but the setting still works for me. For this conversation I would say that my Melvin Davis 7 string bass sounds similar to what you might hear from Nathan East and my Ebony 6 would be similar to what you might hear from Stanley Clarke. Of course these comparisons are just my evaluation but I think this is close.
I have been dealing with carpal tunnel in both hands and some other nerve damage so I have not been playing much just teaching. If anyone else is dealing with or has dealt with carpal tunnel please chime in on remedies or exercises that have helped you. Hector, I hope this information helps but as I stated in the beginning tone is very subjective.

Rory