View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 01:41 AM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
I've just had my French bow, that I had converted to German about 10 years ago, converted back to French - I'm learning Czardas (Monti) for a concert and was having trouble with the fast C7 bit; I discovered that those string crossings are much easier with the French. I had black hair on my bow, which I really liked, but the luthier only had 'salt and pepper' (no time to wait for hair to arrive, I only have one bow). No problem, I was keen to try it, as I'd never used it before. It's still early days getting back into the French bow (10 years is a long time) and I'm not sure about the 'salt and pepper' yet. I'm doing lots of practice, so I suppose, time will tell. I've got EP weichs on my bass and they sure sound different with the French (I like that German sound, but French is good too). I know I really need to get a German as well, but I'm going to persevere with the French for now.
There are things I like about the French bow.
Sorry, got to add this...
I think, to compensate for the change, I put too much rosin on my bow. The guy who made my German frog made it a bit differently from a regular German frog to supposedly keep the weight of the bow in the right place. I'm finding now that, because the frog he build was a little skinnier than regular German frogs, and since I played this frog for 10 years, the bow now feels comfortable (to me) with both French and German grip (though, obviously, my rejuvenated French grip still needs more practice to get the appropriate muscles limbered up).

Last edited by Richard Prowse; 04-19-2012 at 03:47 AM.