Thread: Bow Balance
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Bow balance..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Tice View Post
I currently own what I assume is a Chinese shop bow, and would like to know where the typical balance point for a bow is.
This bow appears to be slightly tip heavy, so I am also wondering if it's common to add some weight to the frog-end of the stick to shift the balance point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dan Tice
Yes, adding weight can balance the Bow, Hockey stick or Golf Club but will that make it perform better for real?

Just adding weight may not make the Bow play better. The balance is in the wood mainly. Finding a balanced bow weight, sound and playing wise is not easy no matter how much you spend. Also, the longer you play in years, the more your tastes and abilities will changed including your needs. Soloists often like a light Bow for those delicate Violin techniques. Orchestral players often like a medium weight Bow for those heavy orchestra passages but not to heavy for a 2 hour gig. Some Jazzers like heavier Bows for the last note on a ballad to grip those non-bowing strings.

I say all of this from experience but nothing here is written in stone.

The bottom line is that if you don't like your Bow the way it is and it's not an expensive type Bow, it may be best to just find one you like rather than putting any more work or time into a Bow that was made or turned out poorly balanced to begin with.