View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Thief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fox View Post
I hesitate a little at posting this, but it's...well, bizarre. As in, "Invasion of the Bass Snatchers" bizarre.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/s...5-00-a-949026/

Makes me think of students who could have written an original essay with all the energy spent plagiarizing someone else's. While it could well be as nice as the seller says, I, personally, would feel creepy playing a Ken Smith stalker bass.
I have seen that or maybe one other COPY made of our Bass as if the maker knew no other design to make. Also, you can thank the dealer we had there back then, the Bass Centre that would charge the then USA LIST Price in GBP, making the Smith bass cost Net about Triple/3x the cost of the same bass here, before tax was added. So I blame them just as much as they knew about this and said he only made one or two of them.

It is NOT a Smith because first off, he doesn't have aged woods to make necks and age them before starting the build as well as the other body woods that are aged, some older them my children that are finished and nearly finished in College! That and a few other things. The pickups are NOT Smith pickups, Period. He bought some parts I believe like the Circuit and Bridge from who knows where but had I known where they would end up, I would have never sold the parts.

Also, the intonation is off.