View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Gumroyan View Post
did anyone play the "Stainer" bass ?.... a colleague of mine inquired about that instrument and was quoted 230K .... wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to much for a german bass if you ask me, I dont care HOW old it is. Where was this Busan located ?.... And as for that John Lott you spotted Ken was it at Andy Stetson's booth ?... He just acquired a John Lott and is selling it for 79,500 ... Pretty fair price for a Lott
The Stainer is NOT a Stainer. It is just what McKibbon called it. It is about 200 years old or so, maybe less. I heard a much lower price at the show from someone who asked. I know the bass and played it many years ago. I would say Austrian or Bohemian, not German and made a century or so after Stainer. It was set-up with solo strings last week when I saw it.

The Busan was at Reiley's booth just across from the Lott. The Lott is the same you mention and was once here in my shop as a possible trade-in. If you collected all 3 of those basses and played them beside my show basses, you might not like the tone vs. pedigree for what the price is on those as compared to mine. The Lott is priced fair but has been through hell and back with damage and repairs. I would have gladly taken it in on trade towards one of my basses 2 years ago when it was here but the deal never happened. My Martini puts out more sound as we did compare them side by side back then. The Busan I tried only in the booth but I didn't feel much in my 'gut' like you do when the bass has power. It does look like the real deal but it is a very small bass by comparison. A very sweet bass I would say but not something for a professional orchestra. More of a solo or chamber orchestra bass at most.