Thread: English makers
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 12:08 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb speaking of..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Gumroyan View Post
[quote With a name like Manchester stamped in your Bass, it is possibly by one of the makers we know of.

Manchester was written (or seems like it was, didnt look like a stamp) on the top rib on the E - string side. Will try to get some photos of the bass
I would like to see these Abe if it's still possible.

On the Violin Shaped basses I have to update my findings. Elgar mentions in his book that Tarr (William) made both Violin and Viol outline but until recently, I had never seen one.

About a year or so ago I got to see some pictures of a large Violin model by W.Tarr and more recently, another one as well.

Also, last year I saw my first Tarr in person, a 3/4 Gamba. If I remember correctly, it was stamped W. Tarr - Manchester (in 2 lines I think).

So to update this Thread, the 'Manchester' mark might be from Tarr but could be any of those makers as well and, both William and his son Joseph have made Violin models. The Joseph's bass I saw pics of looking more in the Varnish, wood and model of Cole, not his father. Joseph Tarr reportedly did work for some time with Cole who had earlier worker with W.Tarr.