View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Junior Posting Member

David Newcomb is on a distinguished road
Default good read!

Thanks Ken for clearing up a lot of the myths and urban legends that float out there about KSB and the early years.
People over the years have seen me gig with #41 and many tell that story, about "thats really a Fodera" etc etc and how HE made all the basses etc etc...which unfortunately was the urban legend that circulated until I read YOUR clarifications.
When I joined this forum a few years ago I was all but washed up at playing professionally, mostly for health reasons. As anti public smoking laws and lighter technology made it possible for me to 1) breathe in a club and 2) actually carry an amp 4 times in a night in order to gig, I found myself up to last week in TWO working bands (my pregnant wife and various issues with running my cab companies forced me to choose to play in only the GB band going forward).
These days even outside of formal band practice and gigs, I log hours a day on various basses, my KSB included. Ironically I tend to play UB more than anything in between dispatch calls-maybe cause it is so challenging for "just an ear trained electric dude" to get music out of such a big girl as my Kay.
If I had a musical goal these days it would be to get good enough on UB to gig successfully (my version of successful is no one throwing things or booing). Chris Wood is my hero- funk sounds so good coming from a UB!