View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Richard, I have played ALL the Thomastic strings if you count trying them on other peoples Basses. The only good Orchestral string they make in my opinion is the new BelCantos which I just bought a Bass that has them so I will get to know them well. Some Orchestral players use the other Thomastic Weichs, Mittles and Solo as well as combinations of 2 or 3 types to balance out their Bass but this again is a minority. Pirastro from what I have heard is still the #1 Orchestral string choice in USA.

I think these new Eurosonics will take hold in time but their marketing is not that strong at the moment.
I am starting to get interested in these Eurosonics. A player told me not too long ago that the just retired principal of the NZSO was using Weichs in the orchestra. It is my impression though, as an outsider from the orchestral world, that Pirastro is the no 1 choice here too. Bowed Weichs and Mittles certainly have a crappy sound when they are new. For this reason the Eurosonics sound interesting.