Thread: Attribution
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 12:57 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Sheridan View Post
There's been some talk on the forum about attribution such as: made by, from the shop of....the school of etc.
If anyone has an auction catalog please feel free to correct me, but I think the auction houses use the following distinctions:

Made By....meaning they believe there is no doubt of the authenticity. Such as made by Adrea Amati.

Attributed to: Meaning most experts agree that it is made by so and so.

Ascribed to: Meaning their are papers from someone, but the auction house does not agree....Ascribed to Andrea Amati.

Shop of: It was made in so and so's shop but not necessarily by Andrea Amati.

School of: Perhaps someone who learned from someone who learned from the Amati.

Another: Possibly Italian 18th Century, or "Possibly Milanese 18th century etc.

Others?

I have spoken with several violin experts who can write papers that would be accepted by nearly anyone who have told me that when it comes to basses they have no idea.
Yes, my Auction glossary has a *few more.. in this order..
Is By
*Probably or Possibly by
Attributed to
Ascribed to

*Firm of
Workshop of
School of
*In the Circle of
*In the style or manner of
*Labeled/Stamped/Branded/Inscribed

(not listed; Another: Possibly Italian 18th Century, or "Possibly Milanese 18th century etc.) This doesn't fit any of the definitions of the ones listed above that I can see. This is slightly more loosely described.

The definitions you shop are not complete or the same as what the Auction book has. Close in some of them but incomplete as far as their descriptions go. This is the 'Red Book' I am referring to, 2006 Edition.