Thread: Attribution
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 12:57 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool valuations..

I feel the best way is like what's done with the Housing market. Compare the most recent sales of a similar bass in YOUR area and adjust up or down for condition or pedigree. On the top class pedigrees it is more of a world market. Generic shop basses rarely get sold far from where they are. The 'area' mention applies mostly to these type of lower cost instruments.

I have seen though many many basses selling for more than I would ever expect them to go for because of what the dealer marketed it as. This happens when German basses are sold as French, English basses are sold as Italian and antiqued Hungarian basses are sold as modern Italians and so on.

In the high end English Market I have seen the highest prices ever ranging from about 90k to 150k asking or actual sale prices and not all were in the best of condition. Most however were the real deal. To die for basses basically. On the Italians, if you can name it and not get 'shot down' professionally, then the prices again have brought in some record numbers.

Valuations are for the most part Insurance Appraisals. Also, you get the bass identified as close as possible. This will help down the road when selling it IF the Papers hold any weight amongst its peers.