View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Posting Member

Adrian Juras is on a distinguished road
Default Flexocor 92's for Jazz

I know that Ken had created a thread ("The Bass"), but I wanted to expand a bit on using Flexocor 92's in a Jazz or Theater context. While my good bass is in getting some work done, I had decided to try out Flexocor's on my Hofner. The bass previously had Superflexibles on it, but it just was too bright sounding/stiff on top. While the bass isn't carved, it is fairly responsive, and I have found the Flexocor 92 to be a decent match(I left the Superflexible E on with Flexocor A D G). They haven't been on long however. I am playing a Theater gig(Cabaret) all of this week/weekend so I will post my thoughts on the strings as that nears an end. My initial impressions are that the 92's give you a very dark pizz sound, but with enough attack to be heard. They respond completely different than spirocores do. More fundamental, less harmonics. I am not sure how well I will get used to the sound, but it definitely has a sound that suits the music I am currently playing. I would be interested to hear any other opinions on using these orchestral strings in a Jazz context.