View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 01:54 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb More Basses at the ISB show.

Originally I had listed the 6 Basses I was bringing to the show with a possibility of a few more coming via Luthier Mike Magee in Pittsburgh.

On Monday afternoon, the day before the opening of the exhibits, Magee drove up with 4 more basses;

1 - The Hofner with the neck re-set for easier playability, new bridge that's taller and some set-up tweaks. This 5er is a breeze to play on. Set-up for Orchestra playing with Pirastro Permanents with a low B (or C if one prefers) and tuned in 4ths up to G.

2 - The Uebel with the neck re-set as well to access the upper notes over the shoulders better as well as an added E capped C-Extension. The Top was also removed and some touch-up repairs done to clean up the restoration from about a year earlier. The set-up was also tweaked on this bass.

3 - The Panormo copy with a full set-up, neck re-set and a chromatic C-Extension. This bass looks and sounds like a Monster.

4 - A new acquisition from 2011 made by Mario Bandini in 1980. A beautiful looking and sounding Italian bass. This was also restored internally as well as a neck re-set and a chromatic C-Extension.

So, all of these basses are back at my shop now and awaiting visits from interested customers. Very few basses actually sell AT the Shows directly. In 2009 I brought 6 basses and sold 5 of them within a few months of the show. Most of them related in one way or another from being at the show. I sold some Bows as well from the last show and also this show as well. There seemed to be quite a bit of Bow traffic at the Show than bass traffic in the sales from what I saw and heard.

I do want to make a mention that I now have 3 new C-Extensions from the shop of Mike Magee in Pittsburgh and they are very nicely made. At the show, I had C-Extensions from 3 different Luthiers and they were all made in a similar manner but different with the personal touch and styles from each individual Luthier. They were each made for a different bass so no two extensions are alike, even from the same Luthier.