View Single Post
Old 02-23-2007, 07:07 PM
Posting Member

Bob Branstetter is on a distinguished road
Default Wolf?

I don't think that either Stan or David are experiencing a true wolf note. As Mike Pecanic pointed earlier out by asking if the wolf occurred around F#, a true wolf note does not encompass an entire strings or a large percentage of the notes on it. It is normally a break in the sound of a particular note and it occurs regardless of what string you play it on. My first reaction would be to try a different (brand) string or strings. If the anomaly still occurs and if your luthier can not eliminate the problem, you may just have to accept the sad fact the some basses have dead spots and/or do not respond evenly across the strings.

Here's a no cost or very low cost idea for trying a heavier tailpiece without making any permanent change.

I don't know if anyone has tried this on a tailpiece, but when tuning the neck/fingerboard in B0 tuning, we use common modeling clay to temporarily add weight to the end of a fingerboard. The same could probably be done with tailpieces to determine if a heavier tailpiece would be of benefit and find the exact weight needed for a new tailpiece. The clay adheres to smooth surfaces and can be added or removed without damage to the surface. Lead fishing weights can be added to the clay if even more weight is wanted.

Last edited by Bob Branstetter; 02-23-2007 at 07:59 PM.