View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool similar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgilio Venditti View Post
Thanks, Ken! Too bad it is hidden somewhere!!! Maybe the owner does not even know its "sentimental" value. Was it similar "a lot" or "not that much" to the first production basses? In other words: could you tell with a glance "...yes: it's a Ken Smith"?

Thank you, V.
Hummm... Well, yes. It does look Smith'ish but the first run of Basses were slightly different as we made a second Prototype copy of the first Proto' that was made as mentioned above. The basic design was there but in tooling up all the patterns and jigs to make the first production run, some slight changes were made. The Circuit on the first Bass was quite different and the second Proto' and first run had those even bigger circuit plates which was an expanded idea by far of the actual Prototype from 1976/'77.

I have a few pictures of these Prototypes here on my wall but I can't scan them for now. Maybe sometime in the future I will rip-up my photo collage, scan and post them and then restore the framed collage afterwards.

Visitors to my Shop can ask to see them as they are framed and leaning against a window behind my Computer desk in my office 'out-of-sight'. It's just that way, no real reason.