View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 05:30 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Ok, your pictures are not the best but if I could see more I would like 4 angles of the head, all sized straight on and better shots of the top and back. Also, some rib shots. Pics that I can see the wood and its wear/experience.

This bass was either sanded down recently and refinished or it is not an old bass from what I can see. The bass is made on the crude side, not an old maker of any professional skills so looking thru books will not help. The Back looks new and frankly, from what I see it looks like a recently made bass made to look old. That is from the pics you show.

Recently I was shown a bass that was for sale from some shop (cannot say who) and was selling as an uncertified old Italian. I looked at the bass and asked what name maker was selling as and wrote the name on a piece of paper. I was right and I have seen that same work from a modern Hungarian guy, some antiqued and some not. It was a total fake, new bass. I have seen many of them now. Made various ways and made to look old, antiqued inside and out.

I need to see more and better pics. If I can have the bass here and check with UV light, I can see the varnish much better. It doesn't look like an old bass to me. Just an old 'style' bass.