View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 12:50 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Pure Arco sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua phelps View Post
Hey Richard nice to meet you. I defiantly agree, with the right bass,bow,rosin & technique they sound and bow pretty well. I'm gonna take kens advice for my next set & see if they have more of a pure arco sound.
There is no IF about it concerning Belcantos PURE smooth Arco sound. The majority of the high end professionally used Orchestra basses in use I am willing to speculate either have one of the Pirastro bowing sets on the or Belcantos. When Belcantos came out, it hit the Orchestra bass world like a major storm. Probably the biggest switch from other strings since people gave up Guts for Steels. Many have gone back to Pirastros but not all. At the last ISB bass making competition all but two of the basses had Belcantos. One of the Judges told one of the two makers that he should have put Balcantos on the bass. Maybe for testing comparisons but that's what he said. All the other builders put on Belcantos independently of each other. This is because of the great demand by professional orchestral bassists requesting them.

Some basses work better with other strings and you never know until you try them all in one way or another. Also, not all bassists play the same or want the same sound so that's another reason why there are so many types of strings used for the same type of job.