View Single Post
Old 10-17-2014, 11:24 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Bedard View Post
Thanks,

I recognize the difference between plywood delamination and open seams at the ribs as far as glue selection. I'm familiar with the use of hide glues and which joints need to be reversible. If that top ever needs to come off, the joints at the ribs (HHG) haven't been compromised.

My original question was whether the neck joint needs immediate attention or whether the instrument can be played as is for a while.
I had also solicited some advice on low tension strings for a new player in a high school jazz combo.
If I do need to reglue the neck, my 40 years of furniture construction might help me recognize a dovetail joint. I'd just rather not tackle the job if it might be possible for him to use it as is while he figures out whether he'll stick with it.
Thanks, Ron
I would not play a bass like that with a loose neck joint. What do you do if it breaks and snaps off and hits someone sitting in front? I once had a neck coming loose at an Orchestra rehearsal so I told the conductor that for safety of the players in front of me, I had to leave.

Lighter strings would or could be solo strings. There are many string options and finding the best ones for a particular bass and player might take time and money as you could be spending 100s per set for most brands. maybe you will get lucky and find a set that works the first time and not look back. Orchestra playing? Jazz playing? Other playing?

Furniture construction is not violin construction. I suggest STILL that you learn about this before continuing. That is my advice.

Oh, and on the dovetail joint, many of them are Burried Under the Top so they look like a Mortise but are actually a hidden dovetail. No way to see that from the outside as the joint is covered by the top below the visible bloc surface so it looks like a mortise but is actually both in some cases. 40 or 400 years of furniture work will not prepare you for what you cant see until you Do see it. Whether it is a plywood bass or a 100 year old Italian bass, the makers, or shops did various things to attach necks. Sometimes even without a block.