Thread: Joseph Cilecek
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 12:24 AM
Junior Posting Member

James Cilecek is on a distinguished road
Default Bass Back Material

Hello Jason,
Joseph was my father and he lived to be 88 years old....just passed away last year. As a teen, I assisted him with some of his bass repair work and did most of the bow rehairing. As I recall, he used a birch plywood back material on some instruments which is likely what is on your instrument. His career in stringed instrument repairing started in 1956 while he was a school teacher at Hastings. In 1966 he started working full time in instrument repair after a young bass player from the New York Philharmonic came to him with a complex job. After that his reputation spread and he had such clients as Julius Levine, June Rotenburg, Gary Carr, Frank Ioga, and most of the bassists of the New York Philharmonic. I'd be happy to answer any further questions about his work as I assisted him and knew a good deal about his repair approaches and techniques. My grandfather too helped out. My Dad discouraged me from going into the music business and thus I went to medical school, became an ER doc and play classical piano and cello as an amateur. Best Wishes, James.