View Single Post
Old 01-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Early 1800s?

I believe Harold Jaeger is a 'brand' name of imported Basses coming into USA in the early 20th century which is about 100 years later than your estimate. I believe Bob Branstetter knows a bit about these and will chime in. I know that one of the west coast Orchestras ordered several 5-string models as one of the owners visited my Shop about a year ago. These are high quality German Shop Basses most likely post WWI. I could be wrong about the date by some but not by much.

There are several Jaegers listed in the Henley book but none named Harold. This happens with the Pfretzschner brand Basses as well using C.F. as the maker. Your Bass having a label with English writing is a clear sign this was an export product.

Still, like the other old shop Basses I have played, I am sure this sounds great. The condition is also good for it's age as well. Even though the Bass looks like it may have been re-finished at some point, it doesn't have the wear and tear or distress that a 200 year old Bass would have.