View Single Post
Old 05-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool 5/4 body and 3/4 neck??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sercan Say View Post
I'm from Turkey, here I'm working with a luthier he built several double bass, but he ordered woods cut in the shape, so he made thickness adjustments and put it all together.Now we will cut , carve woods.

What I want to know is If we want a double bass has good pizz. sound do we have to choose different woods ? Or are there any other major adjustments with wood thickness or something like that?
And same questions for Classical sound.

We recently built-one It has 5/4 body and 3/4 neck with 41,3 scale lenght, It has very full very nice bow sound but pizz. sound not that much better It has good pizz. but bow sound much more full than that.

Would you mind telling us ALL the dimensions and not just the 5/4 size so we can see what you are referring to. To this day, I still don't know what people are calling 4/4 or 5/4. Most of the people I talk with call them all 7/8ths as a true 4/4, so they say, would be too big to play for the average person.

On the sound, I don't think woods or design or anything one thing will make a Bass good for Pizz or Bow. Good is Good and many of my Basses are great for either style. Some good commercial jazz type Basses are just bad with the Bow unless set-up for Classical playing and even then, they are student grade at best and do not Pizz well for Jazz unless re-strung with other Strings.

This may be trial and error for a new maker so I suggest you consult Jeff and Arnold who both make some great Basses.