View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 07:15 PM
Junior Posting Member

Jonathan Stefaniak is on a distinguished road
Question Cherry core bass question.

I am pretty new to Ken Smith basses, and high end bass guitars in general. I have been shopping around for about 2 weeks now. The first KSB I tried was this http://www.kurosawagakki.com/items/detail/142648.html. It is a BSR5EGF with a gorgeous walnut top, and cherry Core. I was immediately struck by the sweetness of the tone-especially in the low notes. I later tried three more Ken Smiths (maple core) - a comparably priced neck thru, a much cheaper bolt on model and a four string neck thru. These were all very good instruments as well. I was surprised to discover that these instruments all had prominent overtones in the sound. If I played a low B-flat on the A string, the sustain lasts very long and the body of the bass brings out the D two octaves and a third higher. I am not sure if it was the same on all of Ken Smiths I tried, but it sold me on the importance of tone woods and care in the construction of a bass guitar. The latter 3 instruments I tried all fell short when it came to the lows. None of them had the thick satisfying fundamental on the E and B strings. I know it is hard to describe in words what a mean - the other basses had a harder tone with less fundamental in the lows, and this first bass I tried. I had a couple questions that I was hoping Ken might answer
Is this difference typical for cherry wood or is it just this bass?
Do you make any extra long scale basses-35, 36" I also tested a Carl Thompson with a 36" scale and really liked the extra tension in the strings. I guess you don't, but just thought I'd ask.
Lastly, I just wanted to see if you remember this particular bass in the link- 2008, 7 piece top with a cherry Core, ebony lined fretless fingerboard. It is a fantastic bass and I am really close to buying it. I want to know if is a particularly unusual instrument? Do you feel it is a fair price for this bass?
Thanks!

Last edited by Jonathan Stefaniak; 01-22-2012 at 07:55 PM.