Thread: F-holes
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
They look a bit like what Pollmann did in the 60s-90s, other than the extreme tilt, and the narrow shaft.
Thank's Arnold. I have seen a few old south German and Mittenwald basses with outer linings made flush with the top and back as well like this bass. But, the Varnish, Lion head and round back seems more like a Markneukirchen bass.

The length of the curve from the bottom to top look quite elegant, cut tight at the bottom, swelling open in the middle and then closing again to the upper tab which is small and almost Brescian looking. I think this was a one-off bass with all these combined features. It's not the first time I've found a bass that was hard to ID. I am fairly sure though we are looking at Germany or western Bohemia near the German border.

I thought the fluting on the lower tabs might date the bass later but in the Rosengard book is a Bergonzi that was re-built by Vuillaume and has the same tabs, original from the late 18th century.

In the Elgar book on page 160 is a James Cole bass. The Fs are a bit similar to these. I have seen some English basses with outer linings as well but mostly flatbacks. This bass however is much older. Of the 5 repair labels inside, 4 of them dated, the earliest is 1886, showing that the amount of work done then was enough to warrant a label, printed on vellum (calves skin) in fancy script lettering. One other even fancier label also on vellum and maybe older, has no date either but is a repair label as well.

One more mystery that might never get solved. Thus is the business we have chosen.