View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan haskins View Post
Nothing personal, Richard. Just had a very busy holiday week. The family has been keeping me way too busy. I've barely had a chance to practice at all, and got ill to boot . . . I still check in to read the Down Under thread, and still think you ought to do some writing that's not for an internet bass forum, but, whatever.

So, how do you get better at your P-Bass? I've got a hybrid ('66 Jazz neck on a mid-70's precision body) which has basically become a decoration. I seriously haven't even touched it in more than 2 years . . . Someday I'll be able to get to all of the things I've been wanting to do, and that bass may get plugged in.
Hey, Stan, so good to hear your writing again! (this is actually correct grammar)
When I put my Jazz into tenor tuning, I relearnt all the notes for the new tuning... that was quite a few years ago... so now all the triads, chords, etc. that I worked on have two names. I need to do lots of practice now to get out of thinging of those tenor strings. I've put together a 12 tune solo repertoire that I'll work up... it won't take too long, as I've worked on the tunes before, but they now sit in different places on the neck.
I have GHS strings on, which I've always liked, but the E string has a bit of a funny sound... it should sound more 'full' but sounds a bit hollow with a slight echo. If you want to get that P-Bass going, I suggest that you start playing your major scales and triads around the cycle of 4ths.
Don't neglect that big violin though!
I hope your illness has cleared up and that all your family are well. I'm going to see my daughter (Stephanie) today, which should be nice. She lives about 40 minutes away in a place called Newtown. My wife (Shelley) has some Easter eggs for her, which I don't feel good about because of how Easter discriminates against certain days (see the Down Here (NZ) thread for the full story).
Hope to hear from you on the Down Here (NZ) thread soon.
Your pal Richard