View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shaw View Post
Hello all,

The bass you've been discussing recently is mine. I bought it a couple of years ago, after the Double Bassist article had been written. I've been in touch with the player who owned it for around 40 years from about 1960 and he only knew it as a Hart's bass. I've discussed it's origins a few times with Tom Martin. He's adamant that there are significant differences between basses by Lott Senior and Lott junior and is convinced that this one is by Lott Junior. That actually makes it less valuable over here in the U.K. as basses by Lott senior are looked upon as about the most desirable orchestral instruments. I guess that Tom has probably seen more English basses than most people, so I tend to go with his opinion.
When a person writes an article and then sells that exact bass the dealer/writer tends to defend his opinions for whatever reasons, usually monetary and reputation. Not all basses written about are what they actually are so here in my Forum I an expressing my doubt that this bass is Lott Jnr/ Also, there is nothing in the records about Hart, John Hart or Hart & Sons that references dealings with Lott Jnr. Also, I have never heard of that firm using the word 'Harts'. John Hart himself possibly made my bass and 3 others with it. William Vallentine who was his half brother (I know this from the mention in John's Will) was known as a Bass maker who worked for the Hart family mainly. Any British maker could have made that bass in its time because they were the great copyists of the Maggini/d'Salo model. Some slight differences between makers but when doing copies, it's hard to tell. Especially when it is a shop production of one on the carcass, one doing the scroll and a different person on the varnishing. Lott Jnr. according to Whithers made only one bass for a quartet that was for an exhibit. That is in writing too. So, who is correct here, the personal notes and journals from Whither's who worked with him or Martin a century and a half later appraising the work?

The last Lott sold here in the states did not do so well as it was the condition of the bass, the repair work and the sound that brought it a relatively low price. That Bass I personally know and played and had in my shop for a month or so. There are other makers who have recently fetched much more than any Lott Snr bass I know so don't be so worried about its value being Jnr., Snr. or other. It's a nice bass made by one of them and no name will change the bass itself. Tom Martin has opinions about my bass too and it is 100% opposite of what a few others believe. Do I care? No. Does it hurt the value of the Bass? No. It is a John Hart Bass as marked and will sell as such regardless who who thinks who made it and when. My Hart will see on its own merits only, sound, playability, condition, merit of repairs and whatever pedigree the buyer believes. Your Bass is marked Hart's so we can assume they at the least handled this bass at one time if not having it made or made in the shop. Maybe Tom Martin is correct and everyone else now and in past history is wrong, it happens. Enjoy the bass you have and use the attribution attached to it if you like. No one knows more than the makers and sellers from that period that are dead and buried now so we have to go on what we see and assume from our individual experience, knowledge and opinions drawn from it.

Care to post some pics of it here on the forum?