View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 01:00 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Internal work..

While reading once again in the same book it mentions that Lott made internal 'stepped' linings ("The hardwood linings are of a distinctive stepped or doubled profile", 'The British Violin', pg. 140). I am happy to report that despite all the restoration work previously performed on this 'well played' Bass over the years, this 'Stepped Lining' is still intact on the center bout Rib/Back joint from block to block. The other linings look just as old as to my eye so this might be the way he made this particular Bass or maybe it was an early experiment on his earlier models. This Bass looks to be a bit older than my Gilkes of 1814 but being Lott's actual dates, it can't be too much older. I would guess maybe 1810 or so while still working for Dodd possibly.

Next week I will get this Bass up to Arnold in NY and maybe to Duane Rosengard as well earlier in the week to look at and see what they think of this and it's various restorations and points of originality.

The Wood of the Back and Ribs while both Curly Maple/Sycamore do not match in grain pattern or style at all. This is also a feature of Lott Basses as well according to the same reference ("The wood of the back seldom matches that of the ribs, which in this instance are of deeply flamed half-slab maple, since Lott made use of sawn veneer for the ribs, which consequently can be relatively thin and vulnerable.")