View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Hasias View Post
Dear Mr. Smith,

Very good idea to have a new site but Smith is about basses so except the White Tiger nothing is really new. Even the world renowned "Smith wood stock" is becoming shorter in wood choices.
I would like to see the upper-class Smith basses like Fusion Elite given a more visibility, importance and attention, like using the resting, let's say, 25 plates to do a limited run of the last 25 basses of the 25th anniversary series in let's say some more exotic wood combinations (even if you should search much deeper in your wood stock or buying it from specific high end music wood suppliers).
Like in every business of this kind, I think the flagship model gives the visibility and enhance the desire factor so I would really like to see first the "New Flagship Smith Bass" before consuming your precious time with the cheaper bolt-ons or alike.

If I would buy one? Blindly!

Best regards
Smiles.. Well, what we make really depends on what you buy! I have plenty of wood in stock but if no one buys it, we don't have the time to spare to make it.

Quote:
Even the world renowned "Smith wood stock" is becoming shorter in wood choices.
The only woods getting dropped for real are woods we don't get requests for. Just an order or two a year for a wood doesn't pay for buying a load of 500-1000 feet of it. I wont live long enough to see it used!

The woods most requested for body woods are Maples, Walunts, Ebony, Cocobolo, Zebra and sometimes Shedua or Imbuia. Bubinga and Morado were rarely requested for Top woods so we mainly used it for Neck strips and features. Both of these are being replaced by Shedua. Koa was more popular 20 - 30 years ago but was also known from being used on cheaper instruments when the wood was cheap. In Acoustic Guitars it's much more popular but still, not a mainstream model. If a wood moves too slow, is priced out of the market or becomes endangered, we look to use what will work in its place. Also, the woods we use are in our stock and sitting for many years. This is an advantage to the tone and feel of a bass as well.