View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 09:00 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool not just...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
Thanks Ken, I've done the orchestra thing. I don't really have any interest in playing in a community orchestra. It's improvised music for me these days, but I understand your point. Playing those Bach cello suites gives one a wake up call too.
Richard, that's just my point. In improvised music you play what you want 'when' you want. In Orchestra music, you play what 'they' want, when they want and how fast they want. They and tem meaning the composers and conductors.

I am doing Mendelssohn's 4th (Italian) now. I just U-tubed it and holy xxxx. Triplets at 160 a beat. All over the Bass. Now that will put some hair on your bow. Actually, it's the left hand that goes to the Barber on that one.

Playing the Orchestra Rep. trains my hands to be so fast, I can't even see my own fingers move. It's just a blur sometimes but the notes keep flying out somehow.

I don't know what you got out of the Orchestra thing but for me, it's the ultimate workout. I will get only 3 rehearsals with the Orchestra and I have about a month to get it ready along with two other Pieces. Haydn's Farewell with a Bass solo at the end..