View Single Post
Old 06-05-2007, 12:07 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb 10 minutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Yeabsley View Post
I've put the A and E strings on- huge difference in tension and sound!

The strings are easier to press down now and feel very supple. The E is floppier than the spiro mittel I had on and bows much easier. The A really gets my bass vibrating. Pizz sound is very even, still nice and dark and quite 'dry' sounding.
Daniel, give it about 10 days or so till the Top of the Bass adjusts to the new lighter tension. The E should improve in tension and the Bass balances itself under the new Strings which have a different pull from the G to E that what was on the Bass previously.

I also designed some other 'E' gauges for this set and the next batch they make might have a different 'E'. What I noticed was that some Basses like the regular 'E' now in the set and some enjoy a slightly heavier 'E' like the one that I designed for the heavier gauged set. After having them make a heavier 'E' for each set I then tried the first Medium 'E' on the light set and found a match for my Bisiach. This is similar to using regular Flexocor with a Stark 'E'. Like the Flexocors, some Basses work fine with the standard set and some work better with the heavier Stark 'E'.

I consider there Eurosonic Lights to be what I call 'Regular' tension and the Medium gauge 'Firm' tension since the diameter of the Strings are more similar in ratio to one another than are the tensions between them.

Now, where's the E/C extension String I asked them for? Jeff is nearly done with his latest C-Extension on my Bisiach and all I have is a Flexocor or Superflexible string to try as a match. The C-Extension is done but the chromatic latches are in development as he is making this one to be similar to those I have that were made by Arnold. It's a good thing those two are best of friends!

Once again, on these new Euros I think time will tell how they mellow and adjust to each individual Bass as well as their color of Pizz and Bow sounds on both new and old Basses. So far, I am quite impressed with them.