View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 06:57 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool them post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
Ok I remeasured a few more times; averaged out the G is .053 and the D .063. Final answer. These have the dark blue-purple silk on bottom, while up top they are the same but with the twist of silver wire. The last half of the D is red silk with the silver.

Pirastro really should post online a comprehensive chart showing all the different incarnations of their strings over the years - seems like nobody can keep this stuff straight. I'm probably the worst.
I have spoken with them and with someone here. Two conflicting stories. The NY guy tells me they were made here in USA and excess shipped back to Germany. The USA supplied strings made in USA. Pirastro denies that but my source knew the guy and company.

I have sent strings back to Pirastro in the past and they flat out deny what I have been told. They are very secretive about how things are made. For awhile, some believed that the current orig flex blue and the Original flatchrome white/blue were the exact same string. Pirastro sent me one of each and they are totally different in every way.

If they always made them in Germany, then why did they have to make the flex 92s and the orig flex all over again? They loose the recipe? Or, when the USA guy retired and closed up shop, he kept his info and just walked away?

So, regardless of what was, we have to deal in present time what is..