View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight McCartney View Post
Wow, very pretty. I don't see a bridge. Would you be having a bridge and TP made that matches the elaborate carving of the bass?
The shop has these already and both are original. It is not strung due to some separations. It's a "some assembly required" but certainly not much, situation. Ken, I'm sorry I didn't measure it. I didn't have a whole lot of time. It's something like a smallish 3/4 or largish 5/8. It's a full size violone, I think, but I don't really think I've ever seen two violones except for reproductions of existing instruments that share the same specs. As far as the overstand and projection angle, these are consistent with a period instrument. All is authentic reproduction in manner and form.

How does it sound, well, I did tap on it a bit! Don't laugh, now, but without strings on there how else can I tell? It's got a nice little POooMmm!

And Sam, Yusef Lateef's Eastern Sounds is one of my favorite recordings ever. So does anyone know if Paul Warburton is on that remastered [edit: Richard?] Hindman CD I linked to above? I haven't listened to the sound files yet. [No, these are all piano solos.]

Last edited by David Powell; 06-20-2007 at 04:35 PM. Reason: overzealous automated censors?