View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

david, stan,

my post was not ment as a buying advice. the f-holes just reminded me at the blacht-bass. i think it´s looking nice and wanted to show it to you .

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Powell View Post
Thank you, Anselm. It puts the price in perspective doesn't it? I don't keep up too closely with the exchange rate and e-bay is such a strange market, but not irrelevant at all. And it offers an opportunity to discuss a somewhat philosophical issue. I don't want to dwell on it, but when you say, it already is a double bass.... I hope the point you are making is that if I want a double bass, I should buy something that already is one. I agree entirely.
Let me make it very clear: If I purchase that Pollmann violone, while I am it's caretaker, it will remain a violone, as intended by the maker.
thank you, i was in fact a little bit worried about the conversion-thing.

Quote:
After that, someone else will have to recognize the value in that, regardless of the price of keeping it that way. There are many double basses Anselm, and Pollmann (this particular man) made many double basses. This might be the only Pollmann violone.
sorry, no. look here: http://www.poellmann-contrabass.de/ http://www.poellmann-contrabass.de/indexframe.htm
the amore modell looks like one i think.
EDIT: had a closer look, i´m not 100% sure now, but you could ask them how many they made.

Quote:
It won a gold medal in Dresden in 1980. Those who judged it are far more qualified than I and which of them would sanction changing it ???

I already have a double bass that while it might not be the best, is fine for the expression of my poor talents. If a Kremona is good enough for Xavier Padilla, it's good enough for me. While the Pollmann violone might speak more loudly in the modern world as a double bass, sometimes there are things that we should allow to whisper sweetly. Who am I with a few foolish $$ to say this is not one of them? I would be satisfied with whatever sounds it makes as a violone. Put a good Neumann condenser mic in front of it.....