View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Pirastro-Evah Pirazzi, Weichs and Regulars

Ok, this will be the official 'Orchestra' Evah Thread here on the 'Corner. We have one in the Hybrid section but in my opinion, it doesn't tell the whole story without playing in an Orchestra section.

I posted there a few times personally and basically I thought the tension was softer feeling on my Bass and thicker under the left hand fingers which for me is a plus. I used them mainly on my Gilkes but now have them on my Big Gamba and they work great on that Bass as well.

I just bought a few sets of the Weichs with the Extension E/C to try out. I had asked Pirastro several months ago but all I could get was a regular non-extension set. I put that to good use and first on my Big Gamba but when that went into the shop for an Extension, I put them on the Mougenot. I liked them so much that I asked around and finally found a distributor that had Extension E/Cs in the Weichs.

I just put a full set of Evah Weichs with the Ext. E/C on my Hart Bass. I used regular Flex 92s on that Bass for over a year and then recently put some Belcantos on it. They sounded good but felt a bit heavy for that Bass as compared to the 92s. The Weichs after a few minutes feel nice on the Hart and the clarity is as good as it's ever been. Time will tell how they work all around as I do recall these strings needing a week or two to settle in as well as the Bass it self adjusting internally to the change of tension.

Pizz wise they sound the best so far on the Hart but I need them as an Orchestra string. This may be the set that makes this Bass its best. Time will tell..