View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Junior Posting Member

Rob Thompson is on a distinguished road

Thanks Ken, for your comments and knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
All of my comments are from the pictures. It looks like there were repairs to both the soundpost and bassbar side. The varnish mess is an indication that those areas were worked on. If not, why was the varnish touched there?
Sorry if I misunderstand, but I think the "varnish mess" you are referring to is just a trick of the shadows? I've attached a couple pics of the belly to see if that clarifies things.

Also, when you say the graft is visible, you mean in the pic of the scroll?

Quote:
Your bridge height is very low even if the strings are touching the fingerboard. 6" height with 5mm on the G and more as you cross the strings is a minimum and still low. This is an indication of a low neck angle and shallow neck-stand combined. This will not be cheap to improve on.
Higher bridges put more pressure on the top. More pressure means more cracks on weaker basses.
I know it won't be cheap (I've already gotten the estimates), but I think I'd like to do it anyway, simply because I like the sound and feel of the bass. In your experience, is there a big risk of developing structural problems on the top because of the increased angle? That, I suppose, is the only thing I'm worried about (besides paying for it).

Quote:
The neck on this bass broke out some time ago. This is evident by the back button inlay. The scratched lines going under and around the button is a dead giveaway as well. The back center must have also shrunk and split and that 3 pic checkered guitar like repair was done then as well.
I imagined that myself; the center seam split and spread open and they just cut up the back to fix it. Like you say, it looks like the three piece backs on acoustic guitars. Is that an abnormal way of repairing that kind of problem? Also, is there any particular reason why someone would replace the wood at the heel of the neck like that? It seems like a strange repair, especially with the sloppy way the purfling is scratched in.

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	noflash.JPG
Views:	600
Size:	332.5 KB
ID:	1441  Click image for larger version

Name:	flash.JPG
Views:	561
Size:	325.8 KB
ID:	1442