View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 11:18 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Wink ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Weems View Post
I am going to go ahead and restore this cello. the question that I have is this. The dimensions are odd on this instrument so is it ok to alter some, such as f-stop and neck length or do I stay with original intent. This would also apply to any future basses that I may have to repair. I don't have a problem making structural changes.
I don't know what this needs. Altering an instrument is irreversible. Also, I have no idea what your skills are. You are talking major surgery on an old Cello/Church Bass. This is most likely a Prescott or something close. In the Cello world, these Yankee instruments do not have a high value. The basses on the other hand do but they are usually big and big is not 'in' at the moment. I have owned one Prescott (sold), one Batchelder (sold) and a beautiful JB Allen bass. For the sound that each of these produce, I feel that they sell more in the German to English price ranges rather then the Italian.

So, be prepared to spend time and money that you will not receive back as this can turn into a negative cost/value project.

Every instrument is different. It's value in the end is usually my guide to what work will be affordable for recouping my investment. Sometimes however, the love for an instrument gets the best of you. I am currently having (amongst other basses) an old Tirol blockless bass restored and repaired as well as altered. The string length will be slightly shortened with a block 'area' cut and its first block installed as it never had one. Many Tirol, German and Bohemian instruments were made without neck blocks and more-so in the style of guitar construction. Before the German countries made violins, they were content making just Lutes and Guitars. The trailed the Italians by about 100 years getting into the Violin. Some believe that Stainer was the first and introduced the violin to the Germans but, I don't think that is 100% accurate. None the less, these Yankee self taught makers learned from a combination of German imports coming in and cabinet making in skills. Combiner together, you have the Yankee basses which include the large Cello-like Church basses and a few smaller ones that were closer to the size of the Cello. If it had tuning gears/plates with machines like double basses and not pegs like a violin, then your instrument was most likely made and intended to be a Church Bass regardless of its size. Maybe!.. I have seen a few cheap german violins with tiny guitar sized gears as well but those I believe were made for students as opposed to professionals.

As far as building styles go over the 4+ centuries and the pinpointing of who did what where or when, it's a total mess tyring to line these origins up. It's more like a 400 year free for all. Do what you like and they will sort it out in the future.. lol