Thread: Scallopini...
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 12:15 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow 30 month tweak..

Ok, some updates on this Scallopini. First off, after about a year or so (can't remember exactly) I decided to change a few things to suit my tastes. It had now been here long enough for me to know I needed to 'tinker' with it some. Back then, I put a new/longer tail wire to lengthen it some to get it closer to the bridge to maybe help with a wolf tone on the A. I don't know if that helped much but, I had to change the bridge arch and widen the spacing. It was about 1" or so, 25.5 - 26mm. My norm had been 27-28 or even 28.5 depending on the bass. This bass has a fairly wide fingerboard taper as the neck is a bit wide in the block and there was quite a bit of ebony outside the G and E strings as if, this was too wide for that set-up. The good news was that with widening the spacing, it would actually fill in that wide FB quite nicely and with ease.

The bass with Belcantos also sounded great but felt a bit loose when playing it so I tried some other strings and it seems that you can use just about anything on this and it will work. Currently, it has Orig. Flex on the G/D and Permanents on the A/E. The bass was sounding and feeling tight as we get into its second winter. So, I thought it should go up on my bench and get adjusted for these heavier tensioned strings.

I had already widened the spacing to 28mm and re-arched the bridge over a year ago and that was fine. I then looked at the soundpost and moved it back up into a more normal position as it was low and centered so I moved it just slightly closer to the bridge and slight outwards from the center. The fit of the post was also good being that it has a new flat brace on the back and a new healthy breast patch in the top so there were no bumps inside the top to hinder the re-set of the post.

Then I thought, why not bring the TP back down almost to were it was when it was restored, 2 octaves and a 5th (instead a 4th) being the lower bout is short, I figured that maybe the extra length might open the bass a bit as it was tight with these strings. A completely different set-up than with Belcantos. Also, I tuned the wolf weight to D on the A-string after length just to see.

I heard some buzzing while practicing right after and thought something came loose. Nope, it was the 8ft florescent lights 10ft up and the metal cabinet/closet in my office all vibrating from the power of the bass. Also, on the G and D it makes the other basses in the room ring out as well, more so than the other larger basses I have here.

So, what ever I just did and had done in the past, the bass is working. With Bel's on it before with the old adjustments, it also worked but I think I could have tweaked it a bit back then as well.

So, after 2 1/2 years, the bass is just barely breaking in. One thing for sure is that it seems flexible to sound good with any kind of string you put on. I have used that I can remember, Flexocor 92s, Belcantos, Passiones, Original Flex with 92E, Original Flex with Permanents 1/2 n 1/2 and even Evah Weichs as seen at the ISB last June. This is a flexible bass as far as strings go. Not many basses would be so friendly as this one has been with all those string changes.