View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up ok..

I am back home, finally. This was a long week. I packed up basses on Thursday and Friday, loaded the van on Saturday and drove up Sunday. I set up Sunday and Monday and the exhibits that were supposed to start on Tuesday started on Monday for us. Why? because our room was in the Music building where the Solo competition was being held. As people emptied out from the theater, they wandered into my room. I was also sharing the room with Bow dealer Chris Brown who is also a top notch bassist. He is the Principal with the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra and formerly played with both the Pittsburgh and Detroit Symphonies.

So, what does one do working all week long with a bassist of that caliber? Ask for a Lesson, of course.. I also got a lesson with another bassist that I have known for years (Doug Mapp) but didn't know he was as good as he is. he is currently the Principal of the Reading symphony and has subbed and toured with the Philly Orch as well. I knew he played in the Reading but never knew about the Philly job.

Now I have some work to do. Besides the two semi-formal lessing in which I played a bit and then took comments and correction as well as what to do to work on things to fix the problems, I was able to watch up close and personal some of the best players in the world play my collection of basses.

Example.. Just before dinner last night, Arnold Schnitzer (a bassist too.. don't kid yourself), my friend Kevin (a Philly pro and teacher at UArts) and myself were playing a Bass trio jazz tune. Paul Ellison walks but and hangs out to listen. Then as I am about to take a solo, John Clayton walks by and I call out, "John, come help me with this. I don't know the tune".. (joking slightly). He takes "Big Ben" from my hands (Arnold with the Martini and Kevin with the Candi) and starts playing some chords. Then Arnold hands me the Martini and I bow the bottom till we finished... Just another day at the office.. lol

There were so many top players there I felt like I was a beginner. Leon Bosch came by several times each day and played my basses. He is so so good I can't begin to tell you. I don't think I can play as good as him if I live another 200 years..

Folks, JOIN the ISB and ask for a copy of the Program of this last show that ended today. You will not believe how many great and famous players where there. The Basses on exhibit were just a drop in the bucket as compared to the music played and the people there.

I met Linda McKnight while finishing up dinner and than sat next to Bert Turetsky while watching Ron Carter in concert.. Just a small sample of an evening at the ISB.. Oh, and I walked from dinner to the concert with Stefano Sciascia as we just happen to be walking out of the same restaurant.